The Catherine McAuley Center has welcomed 250 Afghans to Eastern Iowa over the last year. As these newcomers make their homes in Cedar Rapids, we will share updates and opportunities to support resettlement efforts here:
Ways To Support Resettlement
- Offer Information on Housing Resources – One of the greatest current needs is for permanent housing. We welcome landlords or others with connections to housing, to share those opportunities with staff. Please contact us at 319-363-4993 or email email@example.com.
- Donate – One of the best ways to help is by donating unrestricted funding. As we seek new support through case management, and as various needs come up during the resettlement process, unrestricted funding allows CMC to best meet the needs of the communities we serve.
- Supply items from our wish list to stock our food pantry or setup welcoming homes for new arrivals.
- Contact Congress – Join CMC in calling on representatives to pass an Afghan Adjustment Act to provide at-risk Afghans a permanent legal pathway to safety. Follow these quick steps to tell your Congress Representatives: Afghans deserve safety that lasts.
Additional Information & Resources:
- Important information and resources for volunteers and advocates supporting Afghan resettlement: Afghan Resettlement Backgrounder for Community Volunteers
- Blog Post: Contact Congress – Pass the Afghan Adjustment Act
- Protect Afghan Refugees – Passage of Afghan Adjustment Act
- Blog Post: Update – Housing & Other Services for Afghans
- Blog Post: An Update on Afghanistan: Humanitarian Parolees and the Afghan Parole Assistance (APA) Program